Coahoma-Northeast Game Morphs Into Nail-Biter

2012-10-05 | Press Release from Coahoma Community College Public Relations, 10/4/2012, Panny Mayfield, director; – 662-621-4157Bookmark and Share

Coahoma Tiger's Daveonn Porter blows past another defender for a big gain.

CLARKSDALE – Slow motion was the tempo of Thursday’s contest here between Coahoma and Northeast until the fourth quarter morphed into a dramatic nail-biter with the Tigers from Booneville defeating the hometown Tigers 21-17 in the final seconds.

An opening fumble by CCC’s Monte Bass was recovered instantly by Northwest and converted into a touchdown in 11 seconds. Before many fans found their seats in James Miller Stadium, the home team was down 7-0.

However, Coahoma’s offense bounced back with ground gains by CCC’s Daveonn Porter and a pass from quarterback Roderick McKee to Keenan Daniels earning a first down and moving forward until Martice Buckley intercepted a CCC pass.

Coahoma’s defense forced NE to punt, and the hometown Tigers earned three consecutive first downs via the running of Porter and passes from McKee to Daniels and Delvin Divinty.

On fourth and 10 with 4:33 left in the first quarter, CCC kicker Jonathan O’Hara kicked a field goal for three points, and two minutes later, CCC’s Ryan Self intercepted a Matt Lip ham pass.

However, at the end of the first quarter, Northeast was leading 7-3.

The second quarter opened with a blocked field goal for Coahoma, and ended with the score unchanged.

In the second half NE’s quarterback drilled Shunted Smith with a pass to expand their lead another touchdown.

The final quarter was marred with personal foul penalties on both teams. However, Coahoma’s new quarterback Quantavious Peterson kept the ball for a first down with 9:07 remaining and Porter charged into the end zone Coahoma’s first touchdown.

Briefly the score was 14-9 until CCC intercepted Northeast, Porter gained yardage, and Peterson hit Jordan Taylor in the end zone for a go-ahead 17-14 touchdown with 5:25 left in the ball game.

Returning the kickoff to the 47 yard line, Northeast gambled on fourth and five for a first down on the 28 yard line and scored later on a TD pass with 41 seconds remaining to go up 21-17.

Although Coahoma’s pass to Porter was complete on the 45 yard line with 14 seconds remaining, time ran out for Coahoma.

Coahoma had 15 first downs to 12 for Northeast. CCC fumbled 2 times; lost 1, and had 1 interception. Intercepting for CCC were Ryan Self with 2, and Steven Horton, 1.

Northwest fumbled twice but lost none, and had 3 interceptions.

Disappointed over the loss, CCC Coach Freeman Horton says he is looking forward to three wins. The CCC Tigers travel next week (Oct. 11) to Itawamba Community College. CCC games are broadcast on WNEV Radio: 98.7.