OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Maintenance Window Explained
What is the purpose of a Maintenance Window?
- To provide a consistent, weekly time in which non-emergency tasks can be completed.
- To provide a monthly time for larger projects, such as the installation of a major upgrade or application of security updates and performance tuning efforts.
- To facilitate a coordinated and planned outage to update the CCC production systems.
- To improve efficiency when planning, preparing, and executing tasks.
- To continually improve the stability of the environment with a reduction of unplanned changes.
What are the benefits of a Maintenance Window?
- A weekly maintenance window would be used for system enhancements that have been tested and approved in a non-production environment during the previous week, install non-emergency patches, promote custom application and database objects into production, and install auxiliary upgrades that support the CCC systems.
- All items going into a weekly window should be signed off by 5 p.m. on Tuesday to get into the weekly queue to be applied on Thursday evening. All items not approved by Tuesday will be implemented at the next maintenance window. Exceptions will be reviewed individually and approved accordingly.
- Functional and technical offices can better plan resource needs to ensure accurate, complete work on the system. Additionally, all offices will have clear and accurate information on exactly when changes will occur as well as what changes will be implemented within the window. This also allows all offices to schedule validation of production updates immediately following the window or shortly thereafter.
- Functional and technical offices can better plan, prepare, and execute on all changes with improved efficiency. Likewise, there is a reduction of unplanned changes thus improving the stability of the environment.
The CCC approved maintenance windows:
- Weekly – Each Thursday evening from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. CST
- Monthly – Third Friday of the month from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST