When applying for FAFSA, all contributors (student, parents, step parents, adoptive parents) MUST have an FSA ID before you complete the FAFSA Application. For more information, please view the following link:
Are scholarships awarded for one year or are there scholarships that are guaranteed for both years at Coahoma?

Scholarships are generally awarded for a two-year period (4 semesters), and students must maintain enrollment and GPA requirements as stated in the Scholarship Policy. They are generally renewable if all Scholarship Policy requirements are met.

Based on family income, I probably don’t qualify for Federal financial aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
Yes, unfortunately, numerous families mistakenly think they don’t qualify for financial aid.  Financial aid includes Pell grants, Federal Work Study and other grants.

Can I find out specific financial aid amounts by calling my financial aid office?
Due to the Privacy Act, the Financial Aid Office must be certain of who they are releasing information to on the student’s behalf. Therefore, we will not discuss any specific financial aid amounts over the phone nor via email. Please feel free to visit the Financial Aid Office on the campus or schedule a virtual appointment at coahomacc.setmore.com for further assistance with this matter.

Can I receive Federal financial aid if I do not have a high school diploma or GED?
Yes. Students must pass the state approved ATB (Ability to Benefit) exam and successfully complete 6 credit hours or 225 clock hours applicable to a degree or certificate offered by the institution.

Can I receive Federal financial aid if enrolled less than a full-time student?
Yes, if you are determined to be eligible based on the Student Aid Index (SAI) on your FAFSA.  

Can I receive Federal financial aid by taking just any course? No, students must declare a major course of study and be working towards a degree in that course of study.

Can I receive Federal Financial Aid at two different institutions during the same semester?
Students cannot receive Pell grant or other Federal financial aid at two different institutions during the same semester (payment period). Students can receive Pell grant or other Federal financial aid at one of the institutions, but would be required to pay out-of-pocket at the other institution.

Can I get aid for summer school?
If you have not already used up your full eligibility in the Pell grant program, you may use it for summer school. Some scholarships, including State Aid scholarships are not available during the summer. Depending on funding, Federal Work Study may not be available during the summer terms. For more information, please view Summer Pell Grant Eligibility

Can my financial aid award change?
Yes, your award may change if:

  1. Your family financial circumstances change, causing your financial need to change.
  2. You receive any additional outside resources, such as privately awarded scholarships, which were not listed on your award notification.
  3. You provided incorrect data on your FAFSA. 
  4. You do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid.
  5. You are suspended by the College (academic or discipline reason).
  6. You do not enroll for the required number of hours to receive aid.

Do I have to apply for Federal financial aid every year? Yes, all students must apply for Federal financial aid every year. The Federal financial aid year at Coahoma consists of the fall semester, spring semester, and summer semesters.  If you use all of your Federal financial aid during the fall and spring semesters, there will be no aid remaining for summer, with the exception of Year-Round Pell.

Do I need a certain grade point average to receive financial aid?
Yes, you must comply with Coahoma’s Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress. 

Do I have to be full-time to receive institutional or state aid?
Yes, certain types of aid, such as scholarships and state grants, require that you be a full-time student (15 hours or more). If you drop below full-time during the semester, you forfeit your scholarship for the next semester.

I’m in default because of a previous student loan. Can I receive Federal financial aid?
No, unless you have made “restitution.”  Your lender must send you a letter stating that you are in satisfactory repayment on your defaulted loan.  Present the letter to the Financial Aid Office, and you may be eligible to receive additional financial aid.

If I have already earned a bachelor’s degree, can I receive additional Federal financial aid?
No, you are not eligible for Federal Pell grants. 

I have an associate’s degree. Can I receive Federal financial aid at Coahoma to study in another major? Yes, you can receive financial aid for up to a total of 96 semester hours or 150% of your program hours. (Review the Coahoma’s Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress.)

If I am on financial aid probation or suspension, can I receive financial aid?
Yes, if you are on financial aid probation you can receive all types of financial aid; however, you cannot receive any type of financial aid, if you are on financial aid suspension.

Is financial aid probation and suspension the same as scholastic probation and suspension? No, you may be on financial aid suspension and still attend college by paying out-of-pocket.

What expenses can I expect my financial aid to cover? Depending on your financial aid award it may cover all or part of the following: tuition, room and board, meal plan, books and supplies, some transportation expenses, personal, school, miscellaneous expenses.

How much will my family be expected to contribute toward my yearly college expenses?
The Student Aid Index (SAI) is number results from the financial information you and your contributors provide on your FAFSA form. This number is not a dollar amount of aid eligibility or what your family is expected to provide. A negative SAI indicates the student has a higher financial need. The school determines aid by subtracting your SAI from the cost of attendance.

How is my “financial need” determined?
The school determines aid by subtracting your Student Aid Index (SAI) from the cost of attendance.

I’m going to be married during the school year for which I am applying for aid. Can I fill out my FAFSA as “married”?
No, you must indicate your marital status as of the date you are completing the FAFSA.

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when I’m completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
If your natural parents are separated or divorced, use the natural parent with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months. If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. If that parent has remarried, you must also include the step-parent’s financial information on the application, and parent and step-parent should report themselves as married on the FAFSA.

What if I have unusual circumstances?
If any of the following circumstances apply to you or your family, check with your financial aid advisor immediately to see if this might affect your financial aid application. Please email financialaid@coahomacc.edu.

  1. Divorce of parents, or you from your spouse
  2. Death of a major wage earner
  3. Loss of employment of a major wage earner
  4. Loss of other income or benefits (such as social security or child support)

What happens to my financial aid status if I am excessively absent, completely withdraw, or get purged from school?
Check with your financial aid advisor before withdrawing from school.  If you are excessively absent, withdraw, or get purged from school prior to the 60% mark of the semester, your aid may decrease or be eliminated altogether.