A financial aid administrator may use professional judgment on a case-by-case basis only to alter the data elements used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). A financial aid administrator's decision regarding adjustments are final and cannot be appealed to the Department of Education. If you believe that you have special circumstances that should be taken into account, such as a significant change in income from one year to the next or unusual medical or dental expenses, you should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.