The tutorial lab is located on the second floor of the Zee A. Barron Student Union, Ebony Room II.
The hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Click here to book an appointment for Tutorial Services. We welcome all students who have a passion for learning, and are committed to personal and academic excellence. Tutorial Services Purpose and Contract
"The first step towards improvement is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are." - Chauncey Depew
Welcome! Tutoring is not only for people who are struggling in a course. Tutoring is for those who wish to improve their performance and understanding in a course. Whether your goal is to get from struggling to passing, or good to great, tutoring can help anyone wishing to get a better handle of the material. We welcome all students who have a passion for learning, and are committed to personal and academic excellence.
Tutoring is a free service to Coahoma Community College students. Tutorial services are available to CCC students, whether for remediation in a course or for high achievers who want to become more advanced. The Tutorial Services Lab was established to assist students in becoming proficient and confident with fundamental skills in the areas such as:
- Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Economics
- Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics
- English, Foreign Language (Spanish), Speech
If support is needed in courses not listed above, we will work with the faculty to find qualified tutors to assist in these courses.
Tutorial services objectives are:
- To help the students learn information for a specific course and to use that information to become an independent learner.
- To increase the student’s understanding of subject matter
- To develop basic skills for students
- To develop effective study habits
- To serve as refresher sessions for the students who are academically strong but have forgotten basic curriculum principles
- To develop a positive attitude toward learning
- To teach the students to think and acquire knowledge in a different way as was accustomed in the high school setting
- To reduce the aversion of learning due to overcrowded college classrooms and distractions inside the classroom
- To assist students in understanding and learning subject material from the course.
- To help students achieve their personal academic goals by preparing them for upcoming class material.
- To help students become independent learners.
Expectations for a tutoring session:
- The tutor will assist you with practicing and working through example problems and scenarios.
- The tutor will help you understand concepts and strategies for approaching problems so that you are able to do your work independently.
- The tutor will listen attentively to your concerns and assist with review of course material.
- The tutor will help clarify assignments, help identify problem areas, and help develop strategies to address them.
- The tutor will help you learn effective study skills.
- The tutor will provide you the time to work independently and will assist with practice problems.
Your privacy is important to us. Our tutors maintain confidentiality.
Tips for a successful session:
- Know what you need help with and what you want to accomplish.
- Attempt homework assignments before arriving for a session and have specific questions ready.
- Start your research/compile the necessary information.
- Think of specific questions you want to ask the tutor.
- Attempt (and complete, if possible) every question on your latest homework assignment for this subject before you meet with your tutor. Note where you struggle and point out the specific difficulties.
Tutorial Services Coordinator